Located in the west of Chicago, Naperville, Il is ranked as one of the safest cities in the state. The local historic district dates back to the 18th century, and it later developed into the fifth-biggest metropolitan in Illinois. The town was, and still is, a productive urban that has a lot of history.
In mid of 1831, An English settler, Joseph Naper, arrived with his friends and family in the west bank of DuPage River. There was a two-month expedition across the three big lakes from New York after the arrival of the settlers. The visitors used the Naper brothers boat the Telegraph for the voyage. Besides, the area was still a boundary where the Natives, with the likes of Sauk, opposing the invasion of European-Americans in their long-held land. The Settlement later developed to Chicago, and several families lived there.
The year 1832 saw over a hundred settlers arrive at the Napers Settlement area. The news of the Indian Creek genocide in the Black Hawk War brought some tension among the colonists. There was temporary displacement to Fort Dearborn among the settlers for safety, following the foreseen attack by the Sauk tribe. The attack never came, the settlers moved back after Fort Payne was built.
The Napers played a significant role in the development of the town. In 1834, the Pre-Emption House was built, and the area became a stage-coach stopover from Chicago to Galena. In 1969, the Naperville Heritage Society and Naperville Park District established the Naper Settlement museum village and, as a result,, reconstructed the Pre-Emption House and Fort Payne to stand as part of the museum to reserve the oldest buildings of the community.
In 1839, the DuPage County was separated from Cook County. Naper Settlement got the privilege to be the DuPage county seat till 1868. In 1857, a decision to incorporate the Settlement as the Village of Naperville village was made. Later in 1890, Naperville was reincorporated as a city.
In 1887, a businessman by the name Peter Edward Kroehler built a factory for Kroehler Manufacturing Company in Naperville, beside the Burlington and Quincy tracks of Chicago. The company became the biggest employer in the city and the most significant global furniture manufacturer. Later on, in the 20th century, there was industrial restructuring, and the factory closed in 1978. Closing of the company paved the way to the development of flats and business properties in 1987, and it was renamed to Fifth Avenue Station.
In 1946, Chicago reported the worst train tragedies in Nashville. Two Chicago trains, the Quincy and Burlington, crashed head to tail on a single track. The disaster saw 45 people dead and nearly 127 commuters, as well as crew members injured. The tragedy is memorialized in Naperville inlay metal map located in the Nichols Library southeast corner sidewalk area. There is a memorial sculpture dedicated to the victims and rescuers at the accident spot.
Currently, Naperville city has around 320 properties and home to over 253 homes. The structures, sites, and buildings symbolize relevant examples of native architecture and are one of the city’s essential historical and cultural heritages. Naperville is one of the wealthiest and best cities to live in.